Sunday, October 30th
5:00 PM - Reception Start Time
6:00 PM - Film - Just Eat It
7:15 PM - After-Film Discussion with Special Guests
JUST EAT IT
We all love food. As a society, we devour countless cooking shows, culinary magazines and foodie blogs. So how could we possibly be throwing nearly 50% of it in the trash?
Filmmakers and food lovers Jen and Grant dive into the issue of waste from farm, through retail, all the way to the back of their own fridge. After catching a glimpse of the billions of dollars of good food that is tossed each year in North America, they pledge to quit grocery shopping cold turkey and survive only on foods that would otherwise be thrown away. In a nation where one in 10 people is food insecure, the images they capture of squandered groceries are both shocking and strangely compelling. But as Grant’s addictive personality turns full tilt towards food rescue, the ‘thrill of the find’ has unexpected consequences.
Featuring interviews with TED lecturer, author and activist Tristram Stuart and acclaimed author Jonathan Bloom, Just Eat It looks at our systemic obsession with expiry dates, perfect produce and portion sizes, and reveals the core of this seemingly insignificant issue that is having devastating consequences around the globe. Just Eat It brings farmers, retailers, inspiring organizations, and consumers to the table in a cinematic story that is equal parts education and delicious entertainment.
About ExtraFood.org: County-Wide Food Recovery in Marin
• ExtraFood picks up excess fresh food from any Marin business or organization – such as grocery stores, farmers’ markets, restaurants and schools – and immediately delivers it to nonprofits serving Marin’s most vulnerable people.
• Partnering with the nonprofit food programs they serve, ExtraFood locates, recovers and delivers food donations that match each programs’ needs, including fresh produce, prepared food, dairy, eggs, meat, packaged goods and baked goods.
• ExtraFood focuses in the areas of greatest need, including southern Novato, central San Rafael, and the food deserts of the Canal, Marin City and West Marin where residents lack sufficient access to healthy, fresh, affordable food.
• ExtraFood helps its partners serve more people, provide more complete and healthy meals, reduce food budgets and redirect food program funds to other, critically needed services.
• In 2.5+ years, ExtraFood has recovered and delivered 700,000+ pounds of food from 150+ donors to 74 sites across Marin. ExtraFood delivers food for 5,000+ people each month.
LEARN MORE (PDF)